Studying in Spain, what should I do?

Studying in Spain is very attractive, as the country is home to some of the most famous business schools in the world, as well as a broad network of universities and the Erasmus program’s largest recipient of exchange students. When we consider that Spanish is the second most spoken language on the planet, our country becomes a compelling educational destination.

Foreign nationals who intend to stay in Spain to further their education, do research or training, participate in unpaid internships, participate in student exchanges, or volunteer must obtain the appropriate visa, which includes the initial authorization to stay in Spain.

When the authorized stay exceeds six months, foreign nationals with a visa to pursue or extend studies, research or training activities, unpaid internships, student exchanges, or volunteer services must apply for a foreign student card at the corresponding Foreigners’ Office or Police Station within one month of their entry into Spain.

Why study in Spain?

In QS University’s ranking of the best student cities, Barcelona and Madrid, two of the most important Spanish cities, are ranked #21 and #27, respectively. All of this is due to their educational institutions’ high educational standards. When you qualify to study in Spain, you will have the option of attending one of 82 universities. Each one offers courses in Animation, Architecture, Biotechnology, Film, and Engineering that are tailored to the market’s needs. Furthermore, the degrees are recognized internationally.

Student visa

To procure your student visa, you will need the following documents:

The Pruebas de Competencias Especficas (PCE) assesses your understanding of specific subjects that you studied in high school. Not all universities in Spain require them as part of the admissions process. When they do, the authorities will tell you which subjects you need to “verify” and how many.

Apply for your letter of admission to study in Spain as a foreigner once you’ve enrolled. You will be required to produce it while applying for your visa. It must be issued by a Spanish government-accredited public or private institution, be stamped and sealed, and provide the start and finish dates of the course.

Health insurance is crucial for studying in Spain. To begin with, the Iberian country’s health-care system is rather costly. Furthermore, the authorities demand that you purchase insurance  from a firm that has been granted authorization to operate in Spain, and that has a  no-refund policy in place. Do not get travel insurance to study in Spain as a foreigner unless you are applying for a tourist visa. Make sure you have at least €30,000 in coverage, and that you take out a policy that covers medical and repatriation costs and excludes co-payments and waivers.

If you want your study visa accepted, you will have to show that you have 538€ for each month you are in the country. The authorities will require you to provide one of these personal documents in order to do so. Present it in the name of your parents or guardian if you are not the one paying for the trip.

  • 3 bank statements, no more than 3 months old, signed and stamped by the bank.
  • Professional fee receipts that are no more than three months old.
  • Documentation proving that you have been approved for a loan.
  • A letter confirming that you have been awarded a scholarship to study in Spain as a foreign student.
  • Certificate of good health and no criminal record.

You must submit these prerequisites to study in Spain if you intend to stay in Spain beyond three months. Make sure they are not older than three months and are apostilled and legalized before submitting them. The criminal record certificate must demonstrate that you have never been convicted of a crime under Spanish law, while the certificate of good health must declare that you do not have a disease that poses a public health risk in Spain.

Another prerequisite for studying in Spain is proof that you have a place to live. The most straightforward option is to show a hotel reservation for at least three days. You can also present a signed rental contract, a reservation in a student residence, or a letter of invitation from a Spanish citizen or a resident. If you own a house or an apartment in the country, you will need a title deed.

Nombre de Identidad de Extranjero (NIE) and Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE) are two different types of foreign identification numbers (TIE). The NIE is a permanent identification number that identifies you as a foreign national residing in Spain, which is obtained at your country’s embassy or consulate, or from a Comisara General de Extranjero if you have already visited the country. The TIE, on the other hand, is a temporary residency permit that is renewable and is only processed in Spain. After booking an appointment, you can apply at the Oficina de Extranjeros or a Police Station near your residence.

The empadronamiento, like the Tarjeta, is a document that must be handled in Spain in order to study there as a foreigner. In simple terms, it is an inscription in the city’s City Hall that identifies you as a resident of a particular region.

If you’ve made the decision to study in Spain, Orience can help you navigate the bureaucratic maze. We will advise and guide you through all of the stages necessary for your Iberian academic experience.