Searching for a job in Spain after finishing your studies? Here are some things to take note

Many international students wish to begin working after finishing their studies in Spain. In these situations, the residence permit for job search (or student job search visa) is the best option for searching for a job in Spain.

Here, we’ll show you how to get this visa and what standards you’ll need to meet in order to work as a student.

What is the student job search visa and what are its advantages?

The student job search visa is a residency permit that allows non-EU citizens who have completed their studies in Spain to stay in the country for an additional year. This period is given to them so that they can look for work or start their own business. Additionally, this visa permits them to bring their spouse or children and have them legally reside with them. Family members who accompany the student and apply for this visa will have their residency connected to the principal permission holder at all times to the visa holder, which in this case is the foreign student in Spain. In other words, they can stay in Spain with the student for another year while they have their visa.

Until now, international students could only stay in Spain lawfully until they finished their studies or their student card expired. Without a question, this is the best option for the majority of people. With this visa, you may extend your stay in Spain for an additional year without needing to make any financial investments. The application only takes up to 20 days to finish because the entire process is online, with a much simplified procedure.

To clarify, the student job search visa is not a permit to work; this visa serves as a stepping stone in obtaining a work permit. If you receive a job offer, you must begin the legal process to formalize it. But even if you are unable to work on this visa, it is still a crucial step toward being able to do so in the future.

How is it like to work in Spain after being a foreign student?

After completing their bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD degree, many students wish to either have their first taste of working life or form their own firm in order to pursue their own project.

However, they usually encounter some issues that were connected to the previous circumstance.

To begin with, their student visa does not enable them to remain in the country long enough to find a job. As previously stated, this visa is only valid until the completion of the studies, and it can’t be renewed because their enrollment has ended. As a result, many students have to hunt for work or an internship while they’re still enrolled, while others have to leave the nation as soon as they graduate. Obtaining a work permit as a student might sometimes be difficult. You can only receive a work visa as a highly qualified worker if you have only studied in Spain for one year.

The student job search visa helps ease many of these issues, you will be able to stay for a maximum of 12 months in order to look for work or establish your own business. You must begin the procedure 60 days before or 90 days after your studies in Spain are completed.

Furthermore, you do not need to be highly skilled for the job: you may obtain an ordinary work visa to work in any firm in Spanish territory.

As a result, this permit presents an ideal pathway for anyone who has had trouble acquiring a work permit in the first place because the requirements are very strict and difficult to meet. You can study in Spain for a year, apply for a job search visa, and then begin working for a firm with your work permit.

How do you apply for a student job search visa?

This visa is simple to obtain as long as you are in Spain to make a request. However, because this permission is new, you must apply for it online, keeping in mind that the entire process must take place in the city where you live so that the authorities can validate your registration certificate. After you’ve submitted all of the required papers, the immigration office should respond within 20 days. Once your application has been granted, you must schedule an appointment with the police station to have your fingerprints taken and your residency card issued. Remember that you’ll need to switch your work search residence permission to a work and residence permit once you either start working for someone else or establish your own business.

What are the requirements when applying?

The primary condition is that you need to have at least a bachelor’s degree, but you can also be a master’s degree or a doctorate degree holder. You must also have medical insurance coverage, whether public or private, which should provide comprehensive coverage across the country.

You must also demonstrate that you have the financial means to remain in the nation while hunting for work.

However, not every university or institution will assist you in obtaining this visa. For your application to be accepted, the university you attend must be on the government’s list. Foreign students can apply for this permission 60 days before or 90 days after their student visa expires.

This will not always correspond to the length of your study, so this should be the first thing you look at, sometimes even before picking which institution to attend. It makes sense to spend time thinking about what to study if you want to stay in Spain for a long period of time.