Canada is actively looking for entrepreneurs, innovators, and creatives to live and work in Canada, people who can start, manage or buy a business. This is possible with the Canadian Investment Visa.
Canada, with its rich natural resources, skilled labor force and stable government, is one of the preferred countries to start a business. Foreign investments assure the continued success of its economy through diversity and development.
Start -up visa
Canada’s Start-Up Visa is the first of its kind in the world, linking immigrant entrepreneurs with experienced private sector organizations that have expertise in working with start-ups. Successful applicants to this program can immigrate to Canada as permanent residents with no conditions attached to the success of their business, with a Canadian investment visa.
- Business Requirements
A designated organization must commit to your business:
All applicants (up to 5 people can apply as owners) must each hold at least 10% of the voting rights attached to all outstanding shares of the business; and together with the designated organization, they must hold more than 50% of the voting rights attached to all outstanding shares of the business.
Once you receive permanent residence, you must make sure that:
You play an active role in the ongoing management of your business while living in Canada; the essential operations of the business must partly take place in Canada; and your business is incorporated in Canada.
- Letter of Support
You must get a letter of support from a designated organization that proves they are willing to invest in and support your start-up. These organizations include:
- Venture Capital Firms ($200,000 investment)
- Angel Investor Groups ($75,000 investment)
- Business Incubators
- Language Requirements
You must score a minimum of Canadian Language Benchmark level 5 in speaking, reading, listening, and writing in either English or French.
- Settlement Money
The Canadian government does not give financial support to an investor. You will have to be able to prove that you have enough money to settle yourself and your family in Canada.
Reasons why Canada is the preferred country to start a business
- Canada has been ranked by Forbes Magazine as the best country in the G-20 with which to do business as it has the best fiscal prospects. Among the G-7 countries, it has the strongest fiscal position.
- Canada offers a low tax environment. Its overall tax rate on new business investment is significantly lower than that of other G7 countries.
- Canada has an excellent environment for research and innovation that includes world-class infrastructure, scientific talent and innovation incentives.
- Canadians enjoy the highest standards of living among the G-20 countries.
- Canada boasts of a highly educated, flexible and multicultural work force.
Provincial nominee program
Every province and territory in Canada can invite applicants to live and work in their area through the provincial nominee program, inside the Canadian investment visa. Each province and territory have their own investment visa programs, each with their own requirements that cater to their specific situation. These provinces and territories encourage businesses in almost every sector particularly in agriculture, fisheries, manufacturing, ecotourism and distribution.